Wednesday, August 13, 2008

Altered Paint Can

I altered a paint can for my friend's baby shower. Eric thinks I should call this a metal bucket instead of a paint can. I told him I was making a paint can into a gift basket that can be used to wrap the gift and then it can be used in the baby's room. Later I found out he thought I was going to put paint brushes and other paint supplies in the can and then my friend could put paint in the can and use it while painting the baby's room. He must have thought I was crazy when I kept making him "ooh" and "ahh" over it. He probably wondered why I was spending so much time on a can that would eventually just get paint splattered all over it. What a supportive husband I have.

Here are some pictures of the finished product. The baby's bedding is going to be shades of purple and there are butterflies on it. Thus, the theme for my "metal bucket".




This was a really fun and easy project. I bought an empty gallon paint can in the painting section at Lowe's. They also come in pint sizes. Then I used modge podge to adhere the two background papers to the can. I used two pieces of each color, one for each half of the can so it would be easier to cut the holes for the handle. I just used my circle punch and punched half circles where the paper needed to go around the handle. I then made all of my embellishments and adhered those on with modge podge. After that I put a layer of modge podge over the top. Then I hot glued felt ribbon (thanks Kim!) around the seam where the two colors of paper met. Easy peasy. The lid was made the same way. To cut the circles, oval, and heart (for the butterfly on the can) I used my Creative Memories custom cutters and punches which are some of my very favorite crafting tools. I also made a matching gift tag and tied it onto the handle with some ribbon.

IN OTHER NEWS:
Sorry for no Pearrygin pictures yet. There are just so many to go through. I've been so busy watching the Olympics (I'm pretty much obsessed) that I haven't wanted to take the time to post all those pictures. I can decorate a paint can while watching the Olympics, but there's no tv in the computer room. This is another reason why I REALLY, REALLY, REALLY want a lap top. If you see Eric maybe you could give him a nice reminder that my birthday is coming in two months and a lap top would make the perfect gift. Thank you in advance.
Posted by Picasa

4 comments:

Jennifer said...

That is so cute! I think "paint can" is still an appropriate title. You are so creative!

The Broken Man said...

That's really lovely!

The Broken Man

Kim said...

I love your gift bucket! And don't you just love how silly husbands are when it comes to crafts? Dale's the same way, no matter how many times you try to explain what it's for, they never get it. But, it's a way fun idea and I love it!

The Wi Family said...

What a great idea!! That's so cute and you are so stinkin crafty and creative. Oh and Eric, Brianne really needs a lap top! She deserves one and just think that then you can both sit and do family history and get so much more done to further the work along:)